As we head into the New Year, it is the ideal time to take a step back, and start 2020 with a healthy mind-set.
Here are a few tips on how you can focus on your psychological wellbeing.
1. Maintain a healthy diet. Foods that are rich in vitamins and nutrients, are not only great for you physically, but have positive effects on your mental wellbeing. Research even suggests that foods with high levels of folic acid (spinach and avocado), can even improve your mood and lower anxiety.
2. It’s simple, but get plenty of sleep. Sleeping is as important to our bodies as eating, drinking and breathing, it allows you to recover from physical exertion. Try limiting caffeine, sugar and alcohol, especially before bed, as these substances can make you anxious, ultimately preventing you from getting to sleep.
3. Exercise regularly. Exercising boosts the “happy chemicals” in the brain, known as endorphins. You don’t have to do hours in the gym; just make an effort to engage in some form of exercise each day, even if it is just walking the dog!
4. Don’t get dragged down by the “January Blues”. Look for ways to fight off the doom and gloom of those dark Winter nights, which can make you feel like hibernating indoors and isolating yourself. From joining a sports club to a weekly catch up with your friends… just put yourself out there!
5. Make time for self-care. Set aside a few times each week or day to enjoy some you time. From baking, to reading… to even just taking a moment to moisturise each night, relaxation and balance are so quickly forgotten when life gets busy.
If you are struggling with a mental health problem, here is a link to a few organisations and services that offer help and support directly: https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/your-mental-health/getting-help